Don’t let knee pain keep you from your life. With a single injection, Monovisc provides long-lasting pain relief from knee pain.
Osteoarthritis affects 1 in 11 Australians. It develops in the joints, often involving the hips, knees, neck or small joints of the hands, and can cause stiffness and pain in the affected joints.
If you have been referred to this website by an authorised medical practitioner, you can order Monovisc today. A single dose costs $470. Call our friendly customer service team on 1300 852 172 to place your order.
Osteoarthritis Knee Pain Relief
Knee pain is a common problem experienced by people of all ages. It can occur suddenly or increase over a period of time.
A healthy joint has movement that is free and comfortable. Ends of bones are encased by smooth cartilage, and are protected and lubricated by a synovial fluid inside the joint capsule
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a type of arthritis that develops in the joints, the areas in the body where the bones are linked together. OA often involves the hips, knees, neck, lower back, or small joints of the hands. It is estimated that 1 in 11 Australians have osteoarthritis and 80% of these suffer from knee osteoarthritis.2,3
In an osteoarthritic joint, the synovial fluid loses its ability to effectively lubricate the joint. As the fluid thins, the joint rubs together, wearing away at the cartilage and bone1, 4. You may notice your knee becoming stiff and painful, and experience a general decrease in mobility in the joint.4, 5
Other causes of knee pain may include injuries, inflammation from wear and tear or other medical conditions.
The main goal of osteoarthritis treatment is to reduce pain to improve joint function. There are a variety of options depending on the severity of the disease6 and your doctor’s recommendation.
Exercise keeps limbs strong and active, and can extend the joint’s range of motion6.
By reducing pressure on the affected joint, further injury can be prevented and joint mobility increased7.
Your doctor may suggest medicines for pain relief that can reduce pain and increase function/mobility for a limited time.
Viscosupplements are a type of fluid that are injected directly into the knee to help lubricate and cushion the joint. By replacing lost synovial fluid, painless mobility can be restored to the joint for up to 6 months8.
If your knee pain is severe and other treatments have not provided relief, your doctor may discuss surgical options with you. Surgical treatment for osteoarthritis generally involves replacing some or all the joint.
Monovisc works by replacing lost hyaluronic acid (HA) back into the joint capsule.
In an osteoarthritic joint, joint fluid breaks down and becomes less effective at cushioning, lubricating and protecting the joint. Monovisc replenishes some of this natural supply, and can restore painless mobility and provide relief for up to 6 months8.
Monovisc is administered quickly and easily into the joint in a single injection, and improvement is noticeable after only one month.11
Monovisc is the highest concentration HA shot on the market, resulting in greater and longer lasting pain reduction. In studies, higher concentrations of HA show higher results when compared to lower concentrations.8
Unlike other HA injections Monovisc is administered in a single dose, lowering cost and reducing the number of visits to the doctor.
Monovisc is made from a highly purified, non-animal natural substance which has been used in medicine for over 20 years.
How do I order Monovisc? Visit our Order Now section for more information on how to order Monovisc.
When should I consider Monovisc? If you have tried diet and exercise and still experience knee pain, talk with your doctor about their recommended treatment.
How is Monovisc given? Your physician will administer Monovisc in a single injection to the affected knee.
How long does the treatment last? Monovisc has been shown to last up to 6 months8
Are there any side effects? Most people do not experience side effects with Monovisc. Some people experience non-serious side effects including mild to moderate episodes of inflammation and discomfort which usually ease after a few days.11
Where do I go if I experience complications? Contact your HCP immediately if you experience any complications with the injection.
Is the cost of Monovisc covered by insurance? Treatment is not covered by Medicare, but it may be reimbursed via the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Workers’ Compensation or your own private health insurance. Before treatment, please check with your private health insurance to see if you are eligible for any rebates.
Please contact our Customer Service team on 1300 852 172 to order Monovisc. Have your name, address and contact number, as well as your practitioner’s name and contact information ready and credit card details to pay over the phone ready before you call.
Please note, you cannot order Monovisc without prior referral by one of our approved practitioners. Monovisc will be shipped directly to your practitioner before your next appointment.
If you have specific questions regarding your treatment, or other general medical concerns and questions, please contact your doctor. If you are looking for a health care practitioner in your local area that can talk to you about Monovisc, please contact the customer service team
For all other queries, comments and concerns, please use the form below.
1. Hui et al. 2012. A Systems Biology Approach to Synovial Joint Lubrication in Health, Injury, and Disease. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Syst Biol Med 4(1): 15-37 2 .Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2017. Osteoarthritis (AIHW) [online] Accessed 4th September 2017 http://www.aihw.gov.au/osteoarthritis/
2. Australian Physiotherapy Association 2017. APA | Knees [online] Accessed 4th September 2017 https://www.physiotherapy.asn.au/APAWCM/Physio_and_You/Knees.aspx
3. Arthritis Queensland Osteoarthritis [online] Accessed 25th August 2017 http://www.arthritis.org.au/arthritis/osteoarthritis/
4. Mayo Clinic 2017. Osteoarthritis – Symptoms and causes – Mayo Clinic. [online] Accessed 25th August 2017 http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteoarthritis/symptoms-causes/dxc-20198250
5. Mayo Clinic 2017. Osteoarthritis – Treatment – Mayo Clinic.[online] Accessed 25th August 2017. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteoarthritis/diagnosis-treatment/treatment/txc-20198275
6. Johns Hopkins Arthritis Centre 2017. Osteoarthritis : Role of Body Weight in Osteoarthritis – Weight Management. https://www.hopkinsarthritis.org/patient-corner/disease-management/role-
7. American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons 2017. Total Knee Replacement | American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons [online] Accessed 25th August 2017 http://www.aahks.org/care-for-hips-and-knees/do-i-need-a-joint-replacement/total-knee-replacement/
8. Swann et al. 1974. Role of hyaluronic acid in joint lubrication. Ann rheum Dis 33: 318-326
MONOVISC is a registered trademark of Anika Therapeutics, Inc., Bedford, MA 01730 U.S.A.
The information contained in this brochure applies exclusively to territories outside of USA.